- WHAT ARE YOUR OFFICE HOURS?
Our office is open Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm. We are located at 715 East Fourth Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, N.C. 28202. Our office is located below street level next to the Mecklenburg County Jail Central.
- HOW MUCH DOES FINGERPRINTING SERVICE COST? WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING WITH ME?
The cost for the fingerprinting service is $10.00 for every 5 fingerprint cards you wish to obtain. Example: 5 cards for $10.00, 10 cards for $20.00, etc. You will need to bring a valid state issued ID as well as any fingerprint cards or electronic submission forms. The forms should be obtained by the agency that is requiring you to get fingerprinting.
- DO I NEED AN APPOINTMENT FOR FINGERPRINTING SERVICES?
An appointment is not necessary, however, we encourage you to make an appointment in order to eliminate your waiting time.
- WHAT TYPE OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT FOR ALL SERVICES?
We accept cash, money order, certified check, debit card and all major credit cards. However, if paying by a credit or debit card you will be charged a convenience fee. This fee is paid to the company that provides this order, payment and processing system to the public.
- WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A PURCHASE PERMIT?
- be a citizen, a naturalized citizen or a resident alien
- be twenty-one (21) years of age
- have attained at least one month's residency in Mecklenburg County
- provide a valid driver's license or other picture ID with current address provided by the state of North Carolina
- WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A CONCEALED PERMIT?
- be twenty-one (21) years of age
- be a resident of Mecklenburg County and a resident of North Carolina for thirty (30) days
- be a citizen or naturalized citizen of the United States of America
- not suffer from any mental or physical infirmity which would prevent safe handgun handling and operation
- provide a valid N.C. driver's license or other picture ID with current address provided by the state of North Carolina
- successfully complete a firearms training and safety course that has been designed by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Standards Commission (See Yellow Pages or a firearms dealer for businesses that provide training)
- HOW MUCH DOES A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT COST?
If you are applying for a concealed permit for the first time you will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $90.00 to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office. This includes the cost of two (2) full sets of fingerprints.
If you are applying for a renewal permit you will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $75.00 to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office. If you have expired and are not within your 60 day grace period for renewal you will be treated as a new applicant and we will collect the non-refundable fee of $90.00.
- ARE THERE ANY ADDITIONAL COST TO THE CONCEALED APPLICATION?
Yes, effective 04/21/14, all persons applying for a Concealed Carry Permit will be charged $20.00 for their medical records/history to be sent to the Sheriff’s Office. You will receive an invoice directly from Presbyterian Hospital / Novant Health for this service. Presbyterian is allowed to charge this fee under N.C. General Statute 90-411. Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office will not be responsible for payment nor will they be responsible for any delay in receiving information from Presbyterian Hospital. If you have any questions regarding your invoice, please contact Presbyterian Medical Records Department at 704-384-4150.
- IS MY CONCEALED PERMIT FROM ANOTHER STATE VALID IN NORTH CAROLINA?
Your permit will remain valid until it expires in North Carolina IF North Carolina has reciprocity with the issuing state. For a list of those states that North Carolina has reciprocity with, please visit the link below.
- HOW DO I CHANGE MY ADDRESS ON MY CONCEALED PERMIT TO REMAIN IN COMPLIANCE WITH N.C. GENERAL STATUTE 14-415.11(D)?
Any individual who has been issued a valid permit must notify the issuing sheriff of any permanent change of address within thirty (30) days. In order to change your address on your CHP you must bring your updated driver’s license to the office and fill out the appropriate paperwork.
- I HAVE LOST MY CONCEALED PERMIT, WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
If the permit is lost or destroyed, he/she must notify the issuing sheriff of such loss. The permittee is then eligible to obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and by paying the required duplicate permit fee of $15.00. Please make sure you bring your driver’s license with you.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS MY PURCHASE PERMIT?
N.C. General Statute 14-404, requires the Sheriff's Office to process the handgun purchase permit within 14 days of the application. Once your application is completed you will be notified by email. If your application is approved, the permit must be picked up within 30 days of the email. If you fail to pick up within the 30 days, you will need to reapply.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO PROCESS MY CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT?
Once your appointment has been completed and all paperwork has been received, MCSO has 45 days to issue or deny once we receive ALL of the information back from the mental health facilities. We apologize for the inconvenience, but our goal is to ensure each citizen is given the attention needed to complete the process.
- HOW DO I CHECK THE STATUS OF MY PERMIT?
Whether it is a purchase or concealed permit you may check the status of your order by going to the order tracker that was provided in the email you received upon applying for your permit. You will need the password that you created when you filled out your application.
- IF I AM DENIED A PERMIT, HOW DO I APPEAL THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE DENIAL?
You must fill out the appeal form and mail it to the Mecklenburg County District Court Judge at 832 East Fourth Street, Suite 9600, Charlotte, N.C. 28202. Once the Judge receives the request he will request your file from our department. The Judge will review the file in his chambers. Once a decision is made you will receive a letter from his/her office advising you of the outcome. The Sheriff’s Office will also receive a copy of the letter. If your denial is overturned your permit will be issued and you will be notified via email when the permit is ready to be picked up.
- WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ON THE FIREARM LAWS IN NORTH CAROLINA?
You may go to the N.C. Department of Justice website to obtain the firearms publication. This publication will have a list of disqualifiers as well as the requirements for applying. This publication can be very useful for other questions that may arise.
NORTH CAROLINA FIREARMS LAWS